If you are looking for an adrenaline-filled experience in the heart of Switzerland, then downhill mountainbiking in Interlaken is the perfect choice for you. Interlaken is a scenic town surrounded by the majestic peaks of the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau, and the turquoise waters of Lake Thun and Lake Brienz. It is also home to some of the best mountain biking trails in the country, ranging from easy to extreme, and suitable for beginners and experts alike. Downhill mountainbiking is not for the faint-hearted, but it is a lot of fun and a great way to challenge yourself and enjoy the natural beauty of the mountains. Read on for an overview of the downhill mountainbiking options in Interlaken, and some tips on how to make the most of your adventure
Where can I go downhill mountainbiking in Interlaken?
There are several great places where you can go downhill mountainbiking in Interlaken, depending on your skill level and preference. Here are some of the most popular ones:
- Grütschalp – Mürren – Lauterbrunnen: This is a hard and technical route that starts at the Grütschalp train station, which you can reach by taking a cable car from Lauterbrunnen. The trail follows the edge of the mountain, offering spectacular views of the valley and the waterfalls. You will pass through the charming villages of Mürren and Gimmelwald, where you can stop for a break and enjoy the local cuisine. The trail then descends steeply to the valley floor, where you can visit the impressive Trümmelbach Falls, a series of waterfalls inside a gorge. The trail is about 16.9 km long, and has an elevation gain of 398 m and a drop of 1200 m.
Alternatively you can downhilld directly from Grütschalp to Lauterbrunnen. This red, advanced trail has many jumps and steep turns making it a challenging and thrilling downhill track.
- Mürren – Stechelberg: This is a moderate and scenic route that starts at the Mürren train station, which you can reach by taking a cable car from Stechelberg. The trail follows a forest road that winds down the mountain, offering views of the Schilthorn and the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau. You will pass by some alpine meadows and farms, where you can see cows and goats grazing. The trail ends at the Stechelberg cable car station, where you can take a bus back to Lauterbrunnen. The trail is about 11.4 km long, and has an elevation drop of 800 m
- Kleine Scheidegg – Grindelwald: This is an easy and enjoyable route that starts at the Kleine Scheidegg train station, which you can reach by taking a train from Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen. The trail follows a wide and smooth gravel road that goes along the base of the Eiger North Face, offering stunning views of the famous mountain. You will also see the glaciers and the peaks of the Wetterhorn and the Schreckhorn. The trail ends at the Grindelwald Grund train station, where you can take a train back to Grindelwald. The trail is about 10 km long, and has an elevation drop of 800 m
- Niederhorn: This is a challenging and exciting route that starts at the Niederhorn cable car station, which you can reach by taking a bus and a cable car from Thun. The trail is a downhill track that goes through forests, meadows and rocky sections, with some jumps and drops. You will have panoramic views of the Lake Thun and the Bernese Alps. The trail ends at the Beatenberg cable car station, where you can take a bus back to Thun. The trail is about 12 km long, and has an elevation drop of 1400 m.
- Thun Triple Trail: This is a varied and fun route that starts and ends in Thun, a picturesque town on the shore of Lake Thun. The three downhill trails by bikepark Thun have different difficulties. The Goldiwheel, Rabenfluh and Heartbeat trail can be reached by a special shuttle bus from the centre of Thun that drops you off in Goldiwil at the start of the trails.
- Bikepark Wiriehorn: This is a downhill bike park located in the Diemtigtal, about 40 minutes drive from Interlaken. It has six different trails, from easy to difficult, and a chair lift that takes you to the starting point. You can rent a downhill bike, a scooter or a monster scooter from the Wiriehornbahnen, and enjoy the rapid descent. The bike park also hosts the annual iXS Downhill Cup, a prestigious international competition
- Interlaken – Iseltwald – Brienz: This is a scenic and challenging route – more of a cross country trail with downhill sections – that starts in Interlaken and follows the shore of Lake Brienz to the village of Iseltwald. From there, you can take a cable car to the Niederried station, and then ride down a steep and technical single track to Brienz. The route is about 25 km long, and has an elevation gain of 600 m and a drop of 1200 m. It offers stunning views of the lake and the mountains, and some thrilling sections with jumps and drops
- Harder Kulm: This is a short and steep route that starts at the Harder Kulm station, which you can reach by taking a funicular from Interlaken. The route is only 4 km long, but it has a drop of 800 m and some very steep and rocky sections. It is not recommended for beginners, but it is a great option for experienced riders who want a quick and intense ride
Monster Scooter downhill biking
A great local alternative to mountainbiking is taking a monster scooter or trotti bike for a downhill. Read all about that here in our monster trotti article.
How can I prepare for downhill mountainbiking in Interlaken?
If you want to have a safe and enjoyable downhill mountainbiking experience in Interlaken, here are some tips that you should follow:
- Check the weather conditions in advance, and avoid riding in rainy or windy days, as the trails can become slippery and dangerous.
- Wear appropriate clothing and protective gear, such as a helmet, gloves, pads and goggles. You can also wear a backpack with some water, snacks, a first aid kit and a repair kit.
- Rent a downhill bike or a scooter from a reputable supplier, and make sure that it is in good condition and fits you well. You can also bring your own bike, but you will need a special ticket to use the chair lift or the cable car.
- Follow the trail signs and the difficulty ratings, and do not ride beyond your skill level. Respect the other riders and the nature, and do not litter or damage the environment.
- Have fun and enjoy the ride!
Downhill mountainbiking in Interlaken is a fantastic way to explore the stunning landscape of the Swiss Alps, and to experience the thrill of riding down fast and technical trails. Whether you are a beginner or an expert, you will find a trail that suits you and your adventure level. So, what are you waiting for? Grab your bike and helmet, and head to Interlaken for an unforgettable downhill mountainbiking adventure! 🚵♂️