Interlaken and the Jungfrau region are among the most popular destinations in Switzerland, thanks to their stunning natural beauty and outdoor activities. However, the weather in the Alps can be unpredictable, and sometimes you may find yourself facing a rainy day that spoils your plans. But don’t worry, there are still plenty of things to do and see in this area even when it’s wet and cloudy. Here are some of the best rainy day activities in Interlaken and the Jungfrau region that will make you forget about the rain and enjoy your holiday.
Best Rainy Day Activities in Interlaken & Jungfrau region
- Visit a castle: There are several impressive castles around Lake Thun and Lake Brienz that offer a glimpse into the history and culture of this region. You can explore the medieval Thun Castle, which has a museum and a knights’ hall, or the elegant Spiez Castle, which has a wine cellar and a park. Both castles have stunning views of the lakes and mountains, and you can reach them by boat or train from Interlaken.
- Explore a cave: If you want to escape the rain and discover a hidden world underground, you can visit one of the caves in this area. The St. Beatus Caves are named after a legendary monk who fought a dragon in its lair, and they have spectacular formations of stalactites and stalagmites, as well as waterfalls and streams. The Trümmelbach Falls are another amazing sight, as they are the largest subterranean waterfalls in Europe, with up to 20,000 liters of water per second rushing through the narrow passages.
- Enjoy some chocolate & cheese: Nothing beats a warm cup of hot chocolate or a delicious Swiss cheese fondue on a cold and rainy day, especially if you make it yourself. At the Funky Chocolate Club in Interlaken, you can learn how to make your own Swiss chocolate from scratch, using high-quality ingredients and traditional techniques. You can also taste different types of chocolate, create your own bars and shapes, and take home your delicious creations.
If you are more a cheeselover sign up for a ‘Take it Cheesy’ Fondue Cooking Class at the Fondue Villa. Learn everything and more about cheese fondue while getting your hands cheesy and eating way too much Swiss cheese.
- High ropes course Interlaken
Even on a rainy day, the high ropes course in Interlaken is a fun and exciting adventure for anyone who loves a challenge. The course is located in a beautiful forest, surrounded by the mountains of the Bernese Oberland. You can choose from nine different courses, each with its own level of difficulty and height. You can swing like Tarzan, zip through the air, climb steep walls, and balance on wobbly bridges. The rain adds an extra element of thrill, as you have to be more careful and agile on the wet and slippery obstacles. The staff will provide you with all the necessary equipment and safety instructions, so you can enjoy the course with confidence and peace of mind. You will feel a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction as you overcome your fears and complete the course. The high ropes course in Interlaken is a great way to spend a rainy day, as you will have fun, exercise, and experience nature in a unique way.
- Relax in a spa: If you need some pampering and relaxation, you can head to one of the wellness centers in this area and enjoy a variety of treatments and facilities. The Bödelibad in Interlaken has an indoor pool, a sauna, a steam bath, and a massage service. The Lindner Grand Hotel Beau Rivage in Interlaken has a spa with a heated indoor pool, a jacuzzi, a sauna, a steam bath, and a fitness room. The Victoria-Jungfrau Grand Hotel & Spa in Interlaken has a spa with an indoor pool, an outdoor saltwater pool, a sauna, a steam bath, a fitness room, and a beauty salon.
- Explore an open-air museum: If you are interested in the rural life and culture of Switzerland, you can visit the Ballenberg Open-Air Museum in Hofstetten bei Brienz. This museum showcases more than 100 historic buildings from different regions and periods of Switzerland. You can also see farm animals, crafts, and demonstrations of traditional skills. The museum is open all year round, but some buildings may be closed during winter.
- The Spiez Funland Indoor Play Park is a great place for kids to burn off some energy and have fun with slides, trampolines, climbing walls, and more.
- Play some games at an escape room: If you are looking for a thrilling and challenging experience, you can try to escape from one of the Mystery Rooms in Interlaken. You can choose from different themes and scenarios, such as a haunted house, a pirate ship, or a prison break. You will have to work together as a team to solve puzzles, find clues, and unlock the door before the time runs out.
- Visit an interactive minigolf course: If you enjoy minigolf, you will love Omega Next Level Minigolf in Wilderswil. This is not your ordinary minigolf course, but an interactive one that combines science, art, and technology to create an immersive experience. You can play on 18 holes that feature different themes and effects, such as optical illusions, soundscapes, or holograms. You can also learn about various topics, such as astronomy, physics, or biology.
These are just some of the best rainy day activities in Interlaken and the Jungfrau region that will make your holiday memorable regardless of the weather. Of course, you can also enjoy the classic attractions of this area on cloudy days, such as taking a (sunset) cruise on Lake Thun or Lake Brienz , or visiting one of the famous mountain peaks like Jungfraujoch or Schilthorn , as long as the visibility is good enough. Whatever you choose to do, you will surely fall in love with this beautiful part of Switzerland.